Monday, August 23, 2010

The Sink

Despite any assumptions about how our family apartment should actually be, we have one bathroom in this apartment. That's right. One Bathroom, and most of the time, Seven People. Seven people who happen to wake up at the same time. Seven People who eat at the Same time. And seven people who, most of the time, tend to decide to use the bathroom at the same time. So to avoid excessive knocking and screaming, (And if you forget to lock the door, it's just screaming), I learned to take a little tour of the house before I decide to shower, to let everyone know that the bathroom will be occupied for the next hour or so.

The funny thing is, because everyone always want what they can't get, I've developed the habit of reading on the washing machine. And ofcourse all of my important thinking happens in the shower. All of my singing practice happens in there too. In fact, this blog post started out in my head in the shower just an hour ago. I remember when I really realised I can sing, I used to print out the lyrics to "Every Breath You Take", "Under Pressure" and "All That I've Got" and I'd stick them in the shower. And it would be ages before my neighbours can take their hands off of their ears. And it's not just about the shower and the washing machine.

The sink. The part of the day when I wake up and drag myself to the bathroom and stand infront of the sink to wash my face and then look up at myself in the mirror, is never just a simple moment. Regardless of the hundreds of times my family almost knocked down the door because I was taking too long in there, that moment is something else. I never realise how long I'm standing there, looking myself straight in the eyes, with the water running to waste. Even if I'm an hour late for a lecture, I can never stop it from happening. I look at myself like I'm someone I haven't seen in years. The moment they start knocking on that door like madmen, I realise it's been 10 minutes, and I haven't even moved in an inch. No wonder they think I'm reckless and irresponsible...

I just remembered why I was writing about this in the first place, when I was telling my parents that I'm going to shower, my mom told me to wait till the morning because it's almost fagr and everyone will want to pray, and they'll need to use the bathroom first. I told her I'll only take ten minutes (yes, I lie when it comes to how much time things will take!). So my dad actually said, "Yeah, and you shouldnt wash your hair in the morning and then go out, you'll catch a cold". Umm, it's 40 Degrees (c). So, yeah... This house.. is REALLY weird.

I've been listening to a justin bieber song for about three hours now. Don't get me wrong, I can't stop listening to it because it's featuring Jaden Smith. And I can't get over how much he sounds like his father. Well the miniature version of his father. And I wonder if it really takes parents who have a great marriage to bring up emotionally stable, bright,and talented children.

"No pun intended, I was raised by the power of Will" - Jaden Smith - Never Say Never.

No comments:

Post a Comment