Saturday, August 7, 2010

Immaculate Bridges

I hate to admit my shallow thoughts. I hate to admit that I would change my mind about someone following just how big their lips look at a certain moment. The moment some one's lips look abnormally large to me, I know that for some reason I have or will have a change of heart about them. As misleading as something like that SHOULD be, it has saved me from several situations I'm sure I wouldn't have liked being in. It pushes me to take a mental step backwards just in time. I never quite know what I'm being saved from, but I've learned not to resist the instinct to run.

Leonard Cohan actually wrote Hallelujah. He wrote it and he sang it. And no one really listened then. Everyone's singint it now, and the words somehow changed everytime someone new sang it. I've seen "she broke your throne" turn into "she broke your crown" and "the holy dove was moving too" turn into "the holy ghost". And "All I've ever learned from love is how to shoot somebody who outdrew you" turn into "All I've ever learned from love is how to shoot someone who overthrew you". 

The thing is, i thought I was so observative when it comes to covers of this song and then I realized I never actually heard the original version by Leonard Cohan. I couldn't even get half way through it. and what does most of it mean anyway? what's the forth and what's the fifth?

I know nothing.

I wish when I write about this song, Im just writing about this song. But that's never the case. I never just mean this song. I never just mean music.
I could be the most uninspired human being on the face of this planet right now. I'll stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment