Monday, April 18, 2011

Knights that Didn't Wait for Horses

When I was a kid, I used to follow my brother around the house, looking like I had something really important to say. He would ignore me, until I finally landed facefirst on his bed, and then turned around too look at the ceiling. I'd then squint, and ask him why I kept seeing different colored shapes all around me. He'd then sigh, the kind of sigh that implies he wishes he could once and for all determine if I was adopted. And then for the next fifteen minutes, He would interrogate me about what I mean by shapes, their colors, and when exactly I get them. "You just have an over-active Imagination". Over-Active? OVER-ACTIVE? I mean, yes, I did have my own little imaginary scenarios, including 3 or more characters, soundtracks and all. But hey! When I say I see colors, I can really see colors. I never claimed that those characters were real. I wasn't the kind of kid that had imaginary friends. I never played tea party. I never believed that something that wasn't real, exists. I was born in the United States of America, and I didn't buy the whole Santa clause thing. (yes, he's not real, I mean come on if your parents catch a fat guy giving you presents in the middle of the night, they'll probably shoot his ass. And they'd have a point). The only time I thought something was real and it wasn't, was the belief that I could control light with my eyes, but I was three years old. I'd squint at a lamp and then freak out because I thought I made the light move with my eyes when I say rays flowing out of the lamp, but that's another story.

Elmohem, I definitely didn't have an over-active imagination. And today, like 15 years later, my brother walked up to me and said "Remember the colors you always said you saw?" Of course I remembered the colors. "They were real, you're seeing things inside your eye, and the colors are reflections of light". And at that moment, I was sure that my brother quit his job as a surgeon at Al Asr Al Ainy, just so he could get a different job where he stares into people's eyes for a living, just so I could finally have proof that I wasn't completely insane as a child.

So, There! I'm not Insane. When I say I see colors, I See Them. And when I say there's hope, I actually see it. When I say Someday, I'll buy a newspaper that makes me feel like the front page headlines are actually about the Country I live in, It'll happen. So call me full of shit, I am right about things sometimes.

Oh and before I forget, just for the record, if I go missing or I'm found dead in a ditch somewhere, Dr. Adel Mabrouk, The Dean of the faculty of commerce, Cairo University, is probably plotting an evil plan to get rid of me as I'm writing this. Oh and that's because I'm President of Student Union Now and I'm asking questions. And questions are evil in "their" world. I still see colors though. And I love this country.

So, yeah, I'm blogging again. Woohoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment